It’s St Patrick’s Day and here’s a quick little recipe for Green Grasshopper Pie that might be just the thing to celebrate the day!
Grasshopper Pie is a very simple pie to make. My mom used to whip this one up for us on special holidays. You can make it with your favorite home-baked recipe for rich dark chocolate cookies or use store-bought.
The recipe I am sharing with you here uses Gluten Free cookies which I found at several of my local markets.
A thin coating of whipped cream just before serving with a sprinkle of fine chocolate cookie crumbs on top is a nice finish, too.
History of The Grasshopper
“The Grasshopper” cocktail was created by Philbert Guichet, the second owner of the New Orleans restaurant Tujaque’s, for a contest in New York City. It became famous even though it only won second place! This retro drink was popular when I was growing up in the 50‘s and 60‘s. The green color of the creme de menthe gives the drink and pie it’s name.
- 1.5 cups GF Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 3 Tablespoons KerryGold Irish Salted Butter, melted
- 24 regular size marshmallows
- ⅔ cups - Half & half
- 2 Tablespoons creme de cacao
- 2 Tablespoons creme de menthe
- ½ pint whipping cream for filling + 4 Tablespoons (or more) whipping cream for topping
- 1 teaspoon finely ground chocolate cookie crumbs
- Buzz up the cookies in a food processor or smash with the back of a spoon until they are the size of coarse salt and mix with the melted butter.
- Press this cookie crumb-butter mixture into your pie plate or pan and place in the refrigerator while you make the filling.
- Melt the marshmallows in the half and half in a double boiler or Bain Marie.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- When nearly cool fold in the creme de cacao and creme de menthe.
- Whip the cream and mix into the filling mixture.
- Pour the filling into the chilled crust.
- Return pie pan to refrigerator and let set for one hour.
- Before serving, whip 4 Tablespoons (or more) of whipping cream and spread over the top of the pie.
- Put 1-2 teaspoons of cookie crumbs into a strainer or a sifter and lightly coat the top of the whipped cream.
- Add a mint sprig or two for garnish.