Pumpkin Pie is a traditional part of every Thanksgiving table. Here is my take on the American classic with a slight tweak. (Recipe follows).
I use lite coconut milk instead of cream or condensed milk. The texture and flavor is exceptional.
For those who are Gluten Free, this recipe was included in the Nov/Dec 2011 issue of Easy Eats Magazine. You’ll see my GF Pear Pie on the cover and 4 of my GF pie recipes in the article “Upper Crust”.
Be Happy, Make Pie!
- For 9” pie plate
- 1 recipe pie dough Art of the Pie Pastry/Dough
- 2 cups pumpkin
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- ¾ cup sugar (1/2 brown sugar + ½ white sugar)
- ½ t salt
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1 t ginger
- ¼ t nutmeg, freshly ground
- and a tiny pinch of clove
- Make Pie Dough (see above). Follow instructions for rolling out and placing in pie pan. Save the second dough for another pie.
- In a medium size bowl put all the filling ingredients and mix with an electric beater or a spoon until they are well blended and smooth. You may also use a stand mixer.
- Pour the filling into the rolled-out pastry you placed in the pie pan.
- Preheat oven to 425F/220C
- Place pie in oven and turn down immediately to 375F/190C
- Bake for approximately 50 minutes or until the custard filling is nearly set and doesn’t look runny.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before serving.
-Chilling the pie, after it has cooled to room temperature, makes for easy cutting, too.
-Pass heavy whipped cream, sweetened with a bit of sugar, for cut slices.