For those who have asked, here is the recipe for Geoduck Pie in standard recipe form. You can see more photos in the original blog entry here. I’ve made this pie to serve on my table at home and taken it to potlucks. Every time it is tasted it is greeted with oohs, ahs and yums! Don’t let the look of the geoduck put you off as in “Don’t judge a book by it’s cover“. The meat is mild and slightly sweet.
I originally created this recipe for my “day job” at Taylor Shellfish Farms.
For a 9-10” Deep Dish Pie Pan
1 double crust pie dough recipe
1.5 to 2.5 pound geoduck
1 onion, chopped
5 red potatoes
4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 handful of Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
3 Tablespoons Pasolivo olive oil or other good quality olive oil
8 pieces of bacon
1/2 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon thyme
1-2 Tablespoons Mama Lil’s Peppers, (optional)
Salt & Pepper to taste
a few shavings of black truffle, (optional)
1 egg yolk + 2 teaspoons water
Prepare the Geoduck Meat
- Boil a big pot of water. With tongs quickly submerge the entire geoduck, shell and all, in the boiling water. After ten seconds, with tongs remove the geoduck.
- With a sharp knife, quickly make a cut along the inside of each shell to remove the meat. Make an additional cut along the middle of the body and remove and discard everything inside. Remove the siphon casing on the long neck of the geoduck. Rinse the body and siphon meat well in very cold water.
- Slice and chop the mantle and siphon meat much like you would for stir fry or small pieces of meat for stew.
Make the Filling
- Chop onions, garlic, celery, parsley and saute in olive oil over medium low heat.
- In another pan cook bacon over medium heat. Drain on paper towels and then chop into 1 inch size pieces and add to onion mixture.
- Add the herbs, geoduck and optional peppers. Cook slowly for a few minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the optional truffle shavings. Set aside to cool.
Construct the Pie
- Roll out a pie dough and place in pie pan.
- Pour in the cooled filling.
- Roll out the top crust and place over the filling.
- Crimp edges and cut a few vents on top of the pie.
- Fork beat egg yolk and water together in small bowl and brush over the top of the pie.
Bake the Pie
- Place pie on center rack of oven that has been preheated to 425F and bake for 20 minutes.
- Turn oven down to 375F and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes until you see some steam coming out of the vents and the top of the pie is golden.
- Cool for 10 minutes and serve.
Be Happy, Make Pie!