A Book Blessing
When I returned from Philadelphia after my big adventure, I asked my home girls if they might give me a book blessing. The idea is not original to me, but something my dear friend Maggie suggested. She had recently been to a book blessing for a friend’s new book. She shared with me that each person present held the book and said a few words as a blessing to help send it out into the world. My home girls said yes, and I asked a few others who live out of the area if they would like to send words to be read that evening, too.
Around the table we gathered to toast the evening and share a meal. On the table was a sweet vase of home grown flowers, a raspberry plant in a 2-gallon pot wrapped in a gay red and green apple print, and a sugar and creamer—I couldn’t quite figure out what they would be used for. A candle was lit and then we began.
The book was passed around to everyone at the table as the words sent in from those at a distance were read. Poems and blessings, and special words from my son traveling in Colombia…
- May this book provide pie baking wisdom for many years before and after you have passed on.
- May you receive all your hard work has earned you.
- May this book provide laughter, companionship, wisdom and learning to those that open its cover.
- May this book bring back a love for the simple and old traditions of the past and may it connect older and younger generations.
- May this book bring happiness and support to our family’s future generations.
- May this book bring Kate just the right amount of fame, may she never become a slave to promoting this book, and may it always be in support of what she loves and never detract from what or who she loves.
- May much more creativity come into Kate’s life!
- Happy birth to this lovely creative creation!
Then each who was present was invited to take a pinch of the plant food that was in the sugar bowl and sprinkle it around the raspberry plant, followed by a little water from the creamer as a symbol of the growth, spread, and fruiting of this project. The canes will be planted this fall in the Pie Cottage Orchard and Garden where in time many pie pans will be filled with its sweet and delicious fruit.
And finally everyone put a message on a rolling pin with a colorful marker so I could remember this special day.
If you would like to help send this book on its way and out into the wide world, feel free to add a few words or blessing in the comments.
Art of the Pie: A Practical Guide to Homemade Crusts, Fillings, and Life will be released on October 4th, 2016.