Best Old-Fashioned Apple Pie
Everyone loves an Old-Fashioned Apple Pie. In fact, when I ask people around the country what their favorite pie is, Apple is #1! Here is the easy to follow recipe for the one that I just love to make for my family and friends. Whether you are shopping at the farmers market or the grocery store near you, use six to eight different varieties of apples —some for sweet, some for tart, some that hold their shape, and some that don’t. You will have a flavor and a textural sensation when you do! And what is even better is that NO PEELING AT ALL is required to make this pie. Plus to give even more exceptional depth of flavor add an apple liqueur, like Calvados or Caramel Apple, to make THE BEST APPLE PIE EVER!
Best Old Fashioned Apple Pie
- About 10 cups heritage apples skin on, quartered and cored.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 gratings nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon of an artisan style cider vinegar or fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple liqueur like Calvados or Caramel Apple optional
- 1-2 teaspoons butter chopped into little pieces
- 1 recipe double crust pie dough
For the Egg Wash
- 1 egg white mixed with 2 T of water
- Slice apples in 1/2 inch slices or chunk them up into pieces you can comfortably get into your mouth!
- In a large mixing bowl put all ingredients except butter and mix lightly until most of the surfaces are covered.
- Pour into an unbaked pie crust, mounding high and dot with butter.
- Roll out second crust and place on top; crimp edges with a fork.
- Cut vent holes.
- Paint with egg white wash.
- Sprinkle some extra sugar evenly on top.
- Pre-heat oven to 425F and bake for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375F and bake for 40 minutes longer.
- Cool for at least 1 hour before eating if you can. 😉
I have created a number of pie doughs so that everyone can enjoy a piece of pie. I’m so happy to share these recipes with you here.
Be Happy, Make Pie!