Greek Beef Pie
There was a Greek coffee house and restaurant in Santa Barbara called The Plaka which opened in 1971. If you lived there for any length of time, you may have even spent an evening there enjoying its delicious home-style Greek food, and the hospitality of the owner George Alexiades. Once every evening George would place a cloth covered table, and sometimes two, between his teeth, and dance! Really he did. My friends and I loved the dance, and clapped, and shouted “Opa!” as he carefully moved around the dance floor.
Now, no one in my home has ever done that—well, at least up to this time no one has—but, I remember those evenings when I make this savory pie that uses a few of the flavors of his country. I hope you enjoy it, too.
Looking for a pie dough? Here’s a link to the recipe page where there are a few for you to choose from.
Greek Beef Pie
- 8 x 11” (20 x 28 cm) ovenproof casserole, or another vessel of the approximate size
- 1 double crust pie dough (Use 1/2 recipe if making pie with top crust only.)
- 2 pounds (900 grams) lean ground beef
- 1 cup bread crumbs, gluten free are fine
- 1 egg
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2½ (40 grams) tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup (115 grams) pitted kalamata or green olives
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 500°F (250°C).
- Place the ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, garlic, tomato paste, cumin, olives and salt, and pepper, in a large bowl, and stir to mix. You can also mix it together with clean hands.
- Roll out bottom dough and place in an 8 x 11” (20 x 28 cm) ovenproof casserole, or another vessel of the approximate size.
- Turn the meat mixture in to the pie shell.
- Roll out the remaining dough and place on top of the filling. Cut vents. Crimp or flute edges.
- Brush with egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon water.
- Bake at 500°F (250°C) for 15 minutes.
- Turn down the oven to 350°F (180°C) and bake for another 40 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.