Evan Kleiman, who interviewed me earlier this year on her KCRW PieCast (listen here), has put together the cutest app for pie makers and wanna be pie makers. In fact I think her sweet app, Easy As Pie, will turn many wannabes into actual practitioners of the craft! You’ll find a lot of great tips and recipes here and at $4.99 it’s a great stocking stuffer.
You can pair that easily with a homemade pie making kit that you put together with just a quick trip to the grocery store. Your baker will want to run right to the kitchen and make a pie. You can put in:
- a Pyrex pie pan (9″ deep dish or shallow)
- some parchment paper for rolling
- a wooden spoon
- a big bowl for mixing
- measuring cups and spoons
- new kitchen towels
- an apron if there is a cute one at hand
- some spices—try cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice
- a rolling pin (My favorite is a Fletchers’ Mill double ended French model but quite frankly, ANYTHING will work—even a wine bottle!)
To finish you might want to stop by the liquor aisle or store to pick up a bottle of Calvados and add a little something extra special to an apple pie and to your holiday celebrations!
Plus, an Art of the Pie Class from yours truly… and you will be having pies all year long!