Mac & Comfort
It doesn’t matter what side of the fence you are on. We all need comfort sometimes, especially on those days when we feel knocked down and have no idea what might be coming around the bend.
Today might be one of those days for you, and if not for you, maybe it is for someone else. It could be a family member, a friend, a neighbor, or someone you haven’t met, who is carrying a burden, sadness, or disappointment.
It doesn’t matter what side you are on. Every one of us needs comfort sometimes.
Macaroni & Cheese
A Recipe from Home Cooking with Kate McDermott (Order Here)
2 1/2 cups (230 g) uncooked macaroni—this will make about 5 cups cooked
2 cups (450 ml) milk, half and half, or a combination
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 heaping teaspoon dry mustard
3 1/2 cups grated extra sharp cheddar cheese, plus 1/2 cup to top the casserole (425 g total)
1. Make with love.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease an ovenproof casserole with butter.
3. Cook the macaroni until still slightly firm according to the directions on the package. Drain and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, mix the milk or half and half, salt, pepper, and mustard.
5. Add the macaroni and 3 cups cheese to the bowl, and mix.
6. Turn into the greased casserole. Top with remaining 1/2 cup of grated cheese.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes until it’s nice and bubbly on top.
8. Serve with compassion.
Note Feel free to use a mix of other cheeses you have on hand. If you like it even cheesier, add more cheese to the macaroni, and on the top.