My Mom’s Grasshopper Pie
My mom made Grasshopper Pie and I loved eating it. My folks were teetotalers, so bottles of liqueurs and wine, that had been given to them as gifts over the years, were still sitting on the upper shelf in the pantry of our family home when I cleared it out after they had both passed away. There were two bottles that she did use–creme de cacao and creme de mint– in the filling for this pie.
Grasshopper Pie is really easy to make. I love the chocolate cookie crumb crusts. It can be made with the chocolate wafers, that my mom used, or for an even sweeter version, buzz up Oreo sandwich cookies–using both the cookies and the filling–in the food processor. The light green minty fresh filling reminds me of spring grass just coming up now. St Patrick’s Day is tomorrow, too and it might be fun to to celebrate with this very retro pie.
My Mom's Grasshopper Pie
- 1 recipe Chocolate Cookie Crumb Crust
- 24 regular size marshmallows
- 2/3 cups 161 ml half and half
- 2 tablespoons 30 ml creme de cacao
- 2 tablespoons 30 ml creme de menthe
- 1/2 pint 232 ml 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons 60 ml whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon finely ground chocolate cookie crumbs
- 2 mint sprigs
- Melt the marshmallows in the half and half in a double boiler. Remove from heat and let cool.
- When nearly cool fold in the creme de cacao and creme de menthe.
- Whip the cream and mix into the filling mixture.
- Pour the filling into the chilled crust.
- Place pie in refrigerator and let set for atleast one hour.
- Before serving, whip 4 (60 ml) tablespoon of whipping cream, and spread over the top of the pie.
- Sprinkle the cookie crumbs evenly over the top of the whipped cream. Add a mint sprig or two for garnish.
Chocolate Cookie Crumb Crust
- 2.5 cups 300 grams chocolate cookie crumbs
- 6 tablespoons 84 grams butter melted
- 3 tablespoons 37 grams sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Pour the cookie crumbs and sugar into a bowl. Add melted butter, and distribute well with clean hands or a fork.
- Spread and press the mixture evenly into your pie plate or pan.
- Bake for 6 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.