Pi Day 2018
Today is one of those crazy days that pie makers celebrate. This one is in honor of the mathematical pi, you know, the number that goes on forever and ever. I was going to make a big fancy pie for today, attempting one of those pie tops that I see in the magazines and on Instagram. Then something happened that made me pause. Just before I went to bed last night, I learned that one of the greatest scientists and minds of our time passed away. If ever there was a science rock star in our lifetime, it was Stephen Hawking. He passed away on today’s Pi Day…March 14, 2018.
In reading some of the obituaries in major publications today, it doesn’t take too much to realize that Professor Hawking had a very positive attitude about life. I thought about how this one man, trapped inside of an imperfect body,was never trapped inside of his mind.
Some of his quotes:
- My expectations were reduced to zero when I was 21. Everything since then has been a bonus.
- Life would be tragic if it weren’t funny. While there’s life, there is hope.
- People won’t have time for you if you are always angry or complaining.
- One of the basic rules of the universe is that nothing is perfect. Perfection simply doesn’t exist…..Without imperfection, neither you nor I would exist.
- Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up.
So, let us look to the stars. Let us celebrate the smallest of accomplishments. Let us never ever give up.
Thank you Stephen Hawking.