“PIE-ONE-ONE” HELP THANKSGIVING 2018
To help with your planning, here is the “Pie-One-One” Help Thanksgiving 2018 Page. The big day is just around the corner. It’s not too early to be thinking about what pies you’ll be making. Apple, Cranberry, Pumpkin, Pecan…or? You’ll find the link to recipes here. New this year is a Free Video Series on How to Make a Gluten Free Pie from start to finish.
Here you’ll find links to some of the most popular technique and equipment posts on the Art of the Pie Blog–from how to travel with a pie on a plane, to a tutorial on how to make a beautiful lattice crust. I hope these tips and tricks will help to make your Thanksgiving Day pies the best yet!
Now, onto this year’s helpful pie making links!
Be Kind, Be Happy, Make Pie!
FAVORITE PIE RECIPES
- Here’s a link to some of my favorite Art of the Pie® recipes including Pumpkin, Apple, Cherry, and Lemon Meringue and more. These are the ones that have been on my family’s Thanksgiving table since I was a little girl. My grandmother probably would have loved the Cranberry Pie I posted, too.
GLUTEN FREE PIE
- How To Make Gluten Free Pie Video Series: You’ll see how easy GF pie making is as I demonstrate it from start to finish in this FREE video series that I made for you.
- Best Gluten Free Pie Dough (Recipe and Instructions) Here is the recipe that goes along with the video series. I think this recipe makes the best GF dough ever! The technique is very different so be sure to read the instructions through carefully.
- For those who are Gluten Free-Vegan, here’s the link for you for the GF-Vegan Dough (Recipe)
GLUTEN FULL PIE
- Art of the Pie® Dough How to Make Pie Dough
This is like being at an Art of the Pie® workshops and reading it may be all you need to make a great crust. It’s also a good review for those who have already taken a workshop. (Recipe)
- A Video on How to Make and Roll Dough
- How To Make A Lattice Crust (Video)
In no time at all, you’ll be making a lattice crust like a pro! This short video lesson has taught thousands.
- Rolling Pins
A few words about them but this Double Ended French Tapered Rolling Pin has been my favorite for many years!
- Tips & Tricks for Making Pie in Hot Weather
I know from teaching around the country that extra care needs to be taken to keep that pie dough chilly in hot and humid climates. Did you know that butter starts melting at 59F? Keep everything chilled!
- Another Post about Checking the Weather
Pay attention to the temperature of your fats!
TRAVELING WITH PIE
- Traveling with Pie
Yes, TSA says you can travel with pie domestically. Here are some tips on how to get your beautiful pie safely across the country.
REFRESHING A PIE
- Refreshing a Pie
Here’s a quick way to refresh an already baked pie so it is at it’s best for serving.
- For lots more recipes, tips, and tricks, be sure to pick up a copy of Art of the Pie: A Practical Guide to Homemade Crusts, Fillings, and Life and Home Cooking with Kate McDermott. Both make great holiday gifts for your home cooking, pie making, pie eating, and pie loving friends and family!