Ten Important Things
When I left the house to go out early yesterday morning, the sun was not yet up, and there was slushy snow on the ground. Yes, I was careful not to slip walking through it. I drove through big wet falling flakes. When my headlights shone on them, it looked like I was heading into Star Wars hyperspace.
These are the longest nights–the time of year when I turn inward and think about what the last twelve months have held for me, what I want to bring with me into the next year, and what I am ready to leave behind.
A few years back I made a list of ten very important things and as I was searching for another something, it popped up. I read it over and thought, yes, these are all things that are on my lifetime What is Important List and I’d like to share them with you.
Ten Very Important Things
- My family and good friends.
- My health.
- Knowing how to make bread and soup.
- A brightly colored umbrella I can twirl and that makes me feel magical.
- A comfy bed with down comforters and pillows.
- A crackling fire in the woodstove on a snowy day.
- Snuggling on the couch with my dog and cat.
- Sharing the table and good conversation with family and friends.
- The Bunny Planet*
For me, it is not so much about what I have or don’t have, but more about feelings. Anyway, you might want to make a list of Ten Very Important Things, too. If you do, please feel free to share them here, or keep them just for yourself.
*A very dear friend told me about The Bunny Planet when she was facing a terminal disease. It’s a place we can go to have the day that should have been. Here’s a lovely video that was made of The Bunny Planet stories. It may be twenty of the best minutes you spend today.