Pie Cottage Scones-with AP Flour
PIE COTTAGE SCONES It’s easy to make your own home-baked scones. I love them for breakfast, elevenses, and any time I need a little pick me up with tea. Don’t worry about being too exact with the ingredients. They seem to work out fine every time.
Servings: 12 -16
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch of baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 and 1/2 rounded soupspoons full of baking powder about 1 and 1/2 tablespoons
- Poppy Seeds or citrus peel
- 1 large egg
- 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup melted butter or safflower oil
- 1 cup heavy cream 1/2 and 1/2, milk, or milk mixed with yogurt
- Flavor extract of your choice like vanilla almond, orange.
- 2 teaspoons milk or 1/2 and 1/2
- 2 teaspoons sugar for sprinkling more if you like
In a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients with a fork including the optional seasonings.
Make a well on top of the flour and crack the egg on top. Add the sour cream and all the other liquid ingredients including flavor extract. Mix together quickly until everything has just come together but not well mixed like cookie dough.
On a floured surface form into two balls and pat each to the size of your hand. With a brush, paint on some milk, and sprinkle with sugar.
Cut each round into 6 or 8 wedges and place on a parchment covered or lightly greased baking sheet.
Bake at 425F for 15-20 minutes. They should look golden brown on top and the kitchen will smell really good. Serve with jam and butter.